Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Liver Bread Recipe (with mouthwatering photos!)

Liver Bread (via)

Ingredients:
· 1 lb liver (any kind- I used chicken livers)
· 1 cup flour (any kind- I used Self-Rising this time, but the texture was better with regular old All Purpose)
· 1 cup corn meal
· 2 Tbsp garlic powder (more or less)
· 1 Tbsp oil

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Cover a baking sheet with foil and oil it.
2. Dump the livers into a blender and puree.
3. Mix in all the other ingredients.
4. Spread liver mixture over foil. Bake for about 25 minutes. Open all the windows in your house; the smell will be overpowering.
5. Let cool. Slice into bite-size chunks- a pizza cutter works well. (I forgot to oil the foil this time around and so had to flip the bread over and peel the foil off the back before cutting it up.) Divide and store, refrigerated or frozen, in ziploc baggies.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Christine Mains said...

What a good Dog!
My dog's were never so well trained!

Christine Mains said...

Okay, so I googled liver bread. Because honestly I was curious if it was something you made for your self and your hubby to eat. I know, I know, I know. BUT WOW!!! That is so cool that you can make something in your own kitchen that will train your dog to be the best dog ever! I just don't know if I have the stomach to ever make it.

Christina said...

Haha! I was purposely being vague about whether Liver Bread is food for people or dogs. I mean, a person certainly could eat it. But I don't think I know anyone who would want to.
Making it is really, really gross. As a vegetarian, it's way beyond my comfort level. Plus Brooke has forbade me from making it again because of the terrible smell when it's baking. But I just figure if I'm going to have disgusting meat products in my house (as all dog treats are totally gross) I might as well make them myself and know what's in them. Plus it's WAY cheaper to make your own.
But anyway, thanks for the comment, Christine! I thought I had scared everyone away with the nasty liver photos. :)

the sleepy time gal said...

I love that you included a video of your perfectly trained dog. Bobby standing behind me was super impressed! You are one brave vegetarian... I've go to hand it to you. I don't know if I could do it!